Flute - Understanding Scaling,
Toneholes & Headjoints
May 22-25, 2017
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bill Mathews - email@example.com
Location: [ Map Link ]
NAPBIRT Technical Training Center
2026 Eagle Rd
Normal, IL 61761
--------[ Course Description ]--------
Understanding Scaling, Toneholes and Headjoints
Making and Adjusting Primitive Flutes
The Purpose of this course is to make primitive flutes with an understanding of how a scaling is created and adjusting toneholes for intonation within a created scale. To do this, we will make a variety of flutes in PVC, Copper, and Bamboo. Creating fipples and other types of flute related sounding mechanisms is an experience that can be applied to the traditional flutes we work on. The last part of the class will touch on applying info learned on primitive flutes and applying that knowledge to practical adjustments on modern flutes.
Typical flutes that can be made in this class are 6-hole transverse flutes: ring fipple or Suling type flute, overtone flute, penny whistle and the 5-hole Shakuhachi. Participants can make as many types of these flutes as time allows.
Click Here for a short promo video about this course:
- Traditional flute with 2 or three silver headjoints
- Flute maker's Headjoint scraper
- Dial caliper to make a flute headjoint riser measuring tool. Doesn’t need to be expensive, but it does need to be metal so an extension can be soldered on.
Click Here for a photo and information.
For more information or to ask questions, contact:
Joe Butkevicius: firstname.lastname@example.org
--------[ Instructor ]--------
is the QC Supervisor / Altus Flute Specialist at KHS America in Mt. Juliet TN. For many years he has hosted clinics and served as a clinician for all types of NAPBIRT events including Annual Conferences, Regional Clinics and NAPBIRT University. Over the years he's consulted for many manufacturers and been sought out by top flutists worldwide for service. Joe served as NAPBIRT's Vice-President and is the Music Director in his church.
Safety glasses are required for all NAPBIRT University courses.
If you do not bring your own, we will provide them.
The hotel listed below is within one mile of the Training Center and has been used many times by previous participants. However, you are free to use your favorite website search engine or mobile phone app to find a hotel of your choice. (zipcode search: 61761)
- The closest airport is in Bloomington, IL. Airport Code: BMI
- There is a local Amtrak station in Normal, IL: www.amtrak.com - Station code: BNL
- If you are flying into Chicago O'Hare or Midway airports and would like to get a bus shuttle, click on the following link: www.peoriacharter.com
Destination Selection: Normal: Amtrak Uptown Station
You are welcome to ship any packages prior to your arrival. Send them to:
2026 Eagle Rd
Normal, IL 61761
--------[ Registration ]--------
- All registrations are to be completed electronically using this website.
(We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express)
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You do not have to be a member of NAPBIRT to register. However, you will need to create an account with us in order to process your registration.
- If you are a current member, make sure you are logged into the system. Otherwise, you will end up re-typing a lot of information that would automatically be inserted into the registration form.
- If you are a previous member or you have attended a NAPBIRT clinic in the past, your name should already be in our database. Click Here to request your login information.
Seating is limited to 6 registrations.
By registering for this event, I give my permission for NAPBIRT, Inc. to use, without limitation or obligations, photographs, film footage, or tape recordings which may include my image or voice for the purpose of promoting or interpreting NAPBIRT programs and services.
I waive all claims for damage and/or loss to my person or property which may be caused by an act, or failure to act of NAPBIRT, it's officers, directors, agents, or employees and the hosts and clinicians. I understand that there are inherent dangers in working with tools and repairing instruments and I assume the risk of all dangerous conditions in and about such clinics and waive any and all specific notice of the existence of such conditions.
Online Registration Form