October 28 - 31, 2019
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bill Mathews - firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: [ Map Link ]
NAPBIRT Technical Training Center
2026 Eagle Rd
Normal, IL 61761
--------[ Course Description ]--------
Level One Course
The NAPBIRT University Level One Orchestral String Course will be an intensive four-day clinic. No prior string skills are required to attend. The course will cover the basic repair techniques that are required to maintain a rental pool of string instruments. The class will be tailored to the skill levels of the participants. Each participant will need to bring the string repair tools listed in the link below:
Included in the materials charge, each student will receive a 4/4 violin that is in the white (no varnish) condition. This violin will be used during the course as a practice piece. At the end of the clinic, each student will be able to keep the violin.
Subjects to be covered but not limited to will include the following:
For more information or to ask questions, contact:
- Proper setup of orchestral strings
- Shop setup for string repair
- Basic tools
- Tool sharpening
- Peg fitting
- Bridge fitting: Violin, Viola and Cello
- Sound post fitting
- Fingerboard dressing, removal and installation
- Fabricating nuts and saddles
Lee Hirschmann: email@example.com
--------[ Instructor ]--------
grew up in a very musical and mechanically inclined family. Since childhood, he knew that he wanted to build and repair musical instruments. For the last 15 years, he's built handmade guitars. In addition to his building and repair background, Lee has 13 years of music retail experience and has been playing music for over 20 years.
In 2007, Lee graduated from Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery and started Hirschmann's Guitar Repair, servicing instruments for private customers and many local music stores, studios and local music venues. In 2011, Lee graduated from Minnesota State College Southeast-Red Wing. After graduation, he worked at the Music & Arts refurb center in Frederick, MD. Then, in 2012, he managed the Brass, Woodwind & Orchestral String shop for Bill's Music House. In 2016, Lee left Bill's Music house to start a new business "The Band Shoppe".
Lee has been a proud and continuous member of NAPBIRT since 2012 serving as a clinician, mentor and instructor.
Safety glasses are required for all NAPBIRT University courses.
If you do not bring your own, we will provide them.
There are many lodging options in the Bloomington-Normal Area. The hotels listed below are within one mile of the Training Center. However, you are free to use your favorite website search engine or mobile phone app to find a hotel of your choice. (zipcode search: 61761)
- The closest airport is in Bloomington, IL. Airport Code: BMI
- There is a local Amtrak station in Normal, IL: www.amtrak.com - Station code: BNL
- If you are flying into Chicago O'Hare or Midway airport and would like to get a bus shuttle, click on the following link: www.peoriacharter.com
Destination Selection: Normal: Amtrak Uptown Station
- Local Car Rental Information: (details)
- Other Choices such as Taxi, Uber, Lyft, etc: (details)
You are welcome to ship any packages prior to your arrival. Send them to:
2026 Eagle Rd
Normal, IL 61761
--------[ Registration ]--------
- All registrations are to be completed electronically using this website.
(We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express)
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You do not have to be a member of NAPBIRT to register. However, you will need to create an account with us in order to process your registration.
- If you are a current member, make sure you are logged into the system. Otherwise, you will end up re-typing a lot of information that would automatically be inserted into the registration form.
- If you are a previous member or you have attended a NAPBIRT clinic in the past, your name should already be in our database. Click Here to request your login information.
Seating is limited to 6 registrations.
By registering for this event, I give my permission for NAPBIRT, Inc. to use, without limitation or obligations, photographs, film footage, or tape recordings which may include my image or voice for the purpose of promoting or interpreting NAPBIRT programs and services.
I waive all claims for damage and/or loss to my person or property which may be caused by an act, or failure to act of NAPBIRT, it's officers, directors, agents, or employees and the hosts and clinicians. I understand that there are inherent dangers in working with tools and repairing instruments and I assume the risk of all dangerous conditions in and about such clinics and waive any and all specific notice of the existence of such conditions.