June 24-27, 2019
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bill Mathews - email@example.com
Location: [ Map Link ]
NAPBIRT Technical Training Center
2026 Eagle Rd
Normal, IL 61761
--------[ Course Description ]--------
Most bassoons are out of tune thanks to the length of the bore. All too often, well-meaning technicians fall into the trap of trying to make alterations to the bore or tone holes with hopes of solving these pitch issues. Before thinking about making alterations, the technician needs to eliminate leaks from the instrument. That is the purpose of our course: making the tube leak-free. We will clean, level, and seal tone hole facings as well as install and seal pads. We will even stitch pads.
We will also address problems with leaking boot brackets and cracked sockets. Once we have taken care of these (and more) jobs, we can begin to create strategies on alteration of certain tones.
Bring your basic hand tools, a beat-up bassoon (shouldn't be too hard to find), new pad set, preferred pad cement and your questions. Remove the pads and clean the keys prior to arrival.
For more information or to ask questions, contact:
Michael Dicker: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 309.825.8831
--------[ Instructor ]--------
Oh, the intrigue of the bassoon! It is a complicated beast with great potential for things to go wrong. Michael Dicker
should know. He has been playing the bassoon for 50 years. Along the way he studied with L. Hugh Cooper who inspired and taught Michael to service and maintain his own bassoon. As European representative for Fox Products, Michael traveled through western Europe helping bassoon players and dealers solve bassoon issues.
Since returning to the U.S. in 1983, Michael worked for 25 summers at Fox Products as bassoon repair technician. He has remained active working on bassoons in his private business.
Safety glasses are required for all NAPBIRT University courses.
If you do not bring your own, we will provide them.
There are many lodging options in the Bloomington-Normal Area. The hotels listed below are within one mile of the Training Center. However, you are free to use your favorite website search engine or mobile phone app to find a hotel of your choice. (zipcode search: 61761)
- The closest airport is in Bloomington, IL. Airport Code: BMI
- There is a local Amtrak station in Normal, IL: www.amtrak.com - Station code: BNL
- If you are flying into Chicago O'Hare or Midway airport and would like to get a bus shuttle, click on the following link: www.peoriacharter.com
Destination Selection: Normal: Amtrak Uptown Station
- Local Car Rental Information: (details)
- Other Choices such as Taxi, Uber, Lyft, etc: (details)
You are welcome to ship any packages prior to your arrival. Send them to:
2026 Eagle Rd
Normal, IL 61761
--------[ Registration ]--------
- All registrations are to be completed electronically using this website.
(We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express)
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You do not have to be a member of NAPBIRT to register. However, you will need to create an account with us in order to process your registration.
- If you are a current member, make sure you are logged into the system. Otherwise, you will end up re-typing a lot of information that would automatically be inserted into the registration form.
- If you are a previous member or you have attended a NAPBIRT clinic in the past, your name should already be in our database. Click Here to request your login information.
Seating is limited to 6 registrations.
* Scholarships are available for this course. Click Here for details.
By registering for this event, I give my permission for NAPBIRT, Inc. to use, without limitation or obligations, photographs, film footage, or tape recordings which may include my image or voice for the purpose of promoting or interpreting NAPBIRT programs and services.
I waive all claims for damage and/or loss to my person or property which may be caused by an act, or failure to act of NAPBIRT, it's officers, directors, agents, or employees and the hosts and clinicians. I understand that there are inherent dangers in working with tools and repairing instruments and I assume the risk of all dangerous conditions in and about such clinics and waive any and all specific notice of the existence of such conditions.