May 20-23, 2019
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bill Mathews - firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: [ Map Link ]
NAPBIRT Technical Training Center
2026 Eagle Rd
Normal, IL 61761
--------[ Course Description ]--------
Hand engraving on a musical instrument is not a simple task. It takes a dedicated commitment of continual practice. Machine engraving or stamping cannot match the richness of lines and ornamentation that can only be created by a master hand engraver.
In this course, participants will prepare and sharpen the tools needed to engrave a Selmer-style flower and scroll design from the Balanced Action/Mark VI era saxophones. A sample line drawing will be provided but students are encouraged to modify the original design or come up with a custom design of their own.
Subjects to be covered:
- Tool making and modifying
- Tool sharpening and maintenance
- Styles of engraving (Wriggle vs. Straight cuts)
- Work holding fixtures
- Prepping the engraving area
- Design layouts
- Pattern transfers
Upon completion of this course, participants will have acquired the tools and skill set to successfully engrave a Selmer style flower and scroll. They will also have the knowledge to perform re-engravings.
For more information or to ask questions, contact:
Ryan Walker: email@example.com
--------[ Instructor ]--------
came from a background of working as a technician and educator on all types of wind instruments, so he brings a thoughtful, well-rounded approach to the Sax ProShop. This is evident in his mechanical aptitude, innovative modifications and elaborate engravings. He started his engraving endeavor at the Sax ProShop, specializing in refinishing and re-engraving. Ryan has also taught saxophone repair courses to repair technicians from around the world. He has also given and participated in numerous saxophone clinics, masterclasses and seminars across the country.
Safety glasses are required for all NAPBIRT University courses.
If you do not bring your own, we will provide them.
There are many lodging options in the Bloomington-Normal Area. The hotels listed below are within one mile of the Training Center. However, you are free to use your favorite website search engine or mobile phone app to find a hotel of your choice. (zipcode search: 61761)
- The closest airport is in Bloomington, IL. Airport Code: BMI
- There is a local Amtrak station in Normal, IL: www.amtrak.com - Station code: BNL
- If you are flying into Chicago O'Hare or Midway airport and would like to get a bus shuttle, click on the following link: www.peoriacharter.com
Destination Selection: Normal: Amtrak Uptown Station
- Local Car Rental Information: (details)
- Other Choices such as Taxi, Uber, Lyft, etc: (details)
You are welcome to ship any packages prior to your arrival. Send them to:
2026 Eagle Rd
Normal, IL 61761
--------[ Registration ]--------
- All registrations are to be completed electronically using this website.
(We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express)
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You do not have to be a member of NAPBIRT to register. However, you will need to create an account with us in order to process your registration.
- If you are a current member, make sure you are logged into the system. Otherwise, you will end up re-typing a lot of information that would automatically be inserted into the registration form.
- If you are a previous member or you have attended a NAPBIRT clinic in the past, your name should already be in our database. Click Here to request your login information.
Seating is limited to 6 registrations.
Ryan has pre-selected the necessary tools needed for this course. This will ensure that all attendees have the same quality and consistency. Tools will be shipped directly to the Training Center and will be waiting for you upon your arrival.
* Scholarships are available for this course. Click Here for details.
By registering for this event, I give my permission for NAPBIRT, Inc. to use, without limitation or obligations, photographs, film footage, or tape recordings which may include my image or voice for the purpose of promoting or interpreting NAPBIRT programs and services.
I waive all claims for damage and/or loss to my person or property which may be caused by an act, or failure to act of NAPBIRT, it's officers, directors, agents, or employees and the hosts and clinicians. I understand that there are inherent dangers in working with tools and repairing instruments and I assume the risk of all dangerous conditions in and about such clinics and waive any and all specific notice of the existence of such conditions.