October 14-17, 2019
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bill Mathews - email@example.com
Location: [ Map Link ]
NAPBIRT Technical Training Center
2026 Eagle Rd
Normal, IL 61761
--------[ Course Description ]--------
As Band instrument technicians, we work with metals every day and yet many of us have only a cursory knowledge of their properties and possibilities. This multi-day intensive course seeks to expand that knowledge base and give technicians the confidence and ability to stretch, form, join and finish non-ferrous metals to restore and repair instruments to a higher standard.
Attendees will gain a more in depth technical understanding of the common metals and alloys in our trade. The hands-on projects are designed to build on day to day repair techniques. The course will focus on precision silver brazing, shaping metal with hammers, dies and anvil stakes and will include an introduction to casting and fabrication.
Attendees will leave with 3 finished pieces: a copper quench bowl, a sterling silver band ring and a hand cast pendant or keychain. Each attendee should also bring two small 1/2" -2" instrument key and/or item to duplicate during the program.
Tool/supply list for attendees to bring:
- Adjustable jewelers/piercing saw and 1 pack #2 blades
- Hand held Dremel or Foredom flex shaft **
- Hammers: 1" ball-peen, 1.5" rawhide. (** if available a small riveting hammer)
- 2 cuttlefish bones 4-5" long (pet store in the bird section) **
- 1/4lb Scrap metal, unlacquered, Non-Ferrous (brass, nickel, bronze, silver or copper or some combination of these)
- Safety glasses, 6-10 pairs nitrile gloves
- 3-sided scraper
- Tungsten or titanium soldering pick ** (details)
- Ceramic Brazing brick/block (details)
- -or- Pumice in annealing pan (details)
- Magnesium/charcoal or "soft" firebrick ** (details)
- Jewelers brass brush ** (details)
** if you already own these or have them in your shop, otherwise we will have a limited quantity to share/purchase.
For more information or to ask questions, contact:
Kiki Hastings: Kirsi.Hastings@gmail.com
--------[ Instructor ]--------
is a former Goldsmith/Silversmith, who trained at the Ontario College of Art and Design and later went on to learn repair at Renton Technical College near Seattle, WA. She lives in Toronto with her dog and repairs both brass and woodwind family instruments at Music-Tech services in North Toronto. Kiki loves to talk shop about repair, metalsmithing, rescue dogs and urban organic farming.
Safety glasses are required for all NAPBIRT University courses.
If you do not bring your own, we will provide them.
There are many lodging options in the Bloomington-Normal Area. The hotels listed below are within one mile of the Training Center. However, you are free to use your favorite website search engine or mobile phone app to find a hotel of your choice. (zipcode search: 61761)
- The closest airport is in Bloomington, IL. Airport Code: BMI
- There is a local Amtrak station in Normal, IL: www.amtrak.com - Station code: BNL
- If you are flying into Chicago O'Hare or Midway airport and would like to get a bus shuttle, click on the following link: www.peoriacharter.com
Destination Selection: Normal: Amtrak Uptown Station
- Local Car Rental Information: (details)
- Other Choices such as Taxi, Uber, Lyft, etc: (details)
You are welcome to ship any packages prior to your arrival. Send them to:
2026 Eagle Rd
Normal, IL 61761
--------[ Registration ]--------
- All registrations are to be completed electronically using this website.
(We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express)
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You do not have to be a member of NAPBIRT to register. However, you will need to create an account with us in order to process your registration.
- If you are a current member, make sure you are logged into the system. Otherwise, you will end up re-typing a lot of information that would automatically be inserted into the registration form.
- If you are a previous member or you have attended a NAPBIRT clinic in the past, your name should already be in our database. Click Here to request your login information.
Seating is limited to 6 registrations.
* Scholarships are available for this course. Click Here for details.
By registering for this event, I give my permission for NAPBIRT, Inc. to use, without limitation or obligations, photographs, film footage, or tape recordings which may include my image or voice for the purpose of promoting or interpreting NAPBIRT programs and services.
I waive all claims for damage and/or loss to my person or property which may be caused by an act, or failure to act of NAPBIRT, it's officers, directors, agents, or employees and the hosts and clinicians. I understand that there are inherent dangers in working with tools and repairing instruments and I assume the risk of all dangerous conditions in and about such clinics and waive any and all specific notice of the existence of such conditions.