June 10-13, 2019
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bill Mathews - firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: [ Map Link ]
NAPBIRT Technical Training Center
2026 Eagle Rd
Normal, IL 61761
--------[ Course Description ]--------
PROFESSIONAL CLARINETS - A DIFFERENT MINDSET
After several hundred Bundy's rental returns, it's always a pleasure to get a hold of a professional clarinet to really help us remember just how good we can be. Jaime will teach techniques that he has picked up over the years as an Instrument Repair Technician repairing for the Marine Corps bands and professional musicians here in the United States and abroad. Topics covered will include:
- Body and bore preparation
- Pads (we will be using a mixture of Valentino Masters Pads, cork and bladder)
- Tenon/key cork and glue selection
- Different methods for tenon cork installation
- Some key fitting
- Proper setup
- Importance of play testing
- Whatever else we can squeeze into our schedule. It's always that last 10% of the job that separates the true professionals from the rest.
Each participant will be required to bring personal hand tools, one intermediate or professional wood clarinet (with no cracks) and a mouthpiece and ligature to learn a basic play test. Please have the pads and corks already removed and the keys, rods and screws degreased. All levels of technicians are welcome to attend. The class will be tailored to the skill levels of the participants.
For more information or to ask questions, contact:
Jaime Hamner: email@example.com
--------[ Instructor ]--------
began apprenticing in band instrument repair in 2000 while in the Marine Corps Band. He was selected to become an Instrument Repair Technician in 2001 and attended the Instrument Repair School at Red Wing, MN. After his retirement from the Marine Corps in 2011, he continued to repair musical instruments in his home shop in Beaufort, SC.
Jaime has been a member of NAPBIRT since 2000 and has served on the Board of Directors since 2003. He has been the NAPBIRT President since 2013 and will be taking a sabbatical after this term is over. Jaime is a NAPBIRT University Instructor and has presented numerous clinics at the Regional Level and Annual Conferences.
Safety glasses are required for all NAPBIRT University courses.
If you do not bring your own, we will provide them.
There are many lodging options in the Bloomington-Normal Area. The hotels listed below are within one mile of the Training Center. However, you are free to use your favorite website search engine or mobile phone app to find a hotel of your choice. (zipcode search: 61761)
- The closest airport is in Bloomington, IL. Airport Code: BMI
- There is a local Amtrak station in Normal, IL: www.amtrak.com - Station code: BNL
- If you are flying into Chicago O'Hare or Midway airport and would like to get a bus shuttle, click on the following link: www.peoriacharter.com
Destination Selection: Normal: Amtrak Uptown Station
- Local Car Rental Information: (details)
- Other Choices such as Taxi, Uber, Lyft, etc: (details)
You are welcome to ship any packages prior to your arrival. Send them to:
2026 Eagle Rd
Normal, IL 61761
--------[ Registration ]--------
- All registrations are to be completed electronically using this website.
(We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express)
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You do not have to be a member of NAPBIRT to register. However, you will need to create an account with us in order to process your registration.
- If you are a current member, make sure you are logged into the system. Otherwise, you will end up re-typing a lot of information that would automatically be inserted into the registration form.
- If you are a previous member or you have attended a NAPBIRT clinic in the past, your name should already be in our database. Click Here to request your login information.
Seating is limited to 6 registrations.
* Scholarships are available for this course. Click Here for details.
By registering for this event, I give my permission for NAPBIRT, Inc. to use, without limitation or obligations, photographs, film footage, or tape recordings which may include my image or voice for the purpose of promoting or interpreting NAPBIRT programs and services.
I waive all claims for damage and/or loss to my person or property which may be caused by an act, or failure to act of NAPBIRT, it's officers, directors, agents, or employees and the hosts and clinicians. I understand that there are inherent dangers in working with tools and repairing instruments and I assume the risk of all dangerous conditions in and about such clinics and waive any and all specific notice of the existence of such conditions.