Terms & Conditions
Parent Guide for
P.O. Box 51
2026 Eagle Rd
Normal, IL 61761
NAPBIRT University - String I Course
November 9-12, 2015
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bill Mathews - email@example.com
Location: [ Map Link ]
NAPBIRT Technical Training Center
2026 Eagle Rd
Normal, IL 61761
Scholarships are available for this course. For more information and to apply, click here
Level One Course
The NAPBIRT University Level One Orchestral String Course will be an intensive four-day clinic. No prior string skills are required to attend. The course will cover the basic repair techniques that are required to maintain a rental pool of string instruments. The class will be tailored to the skill levels of the participants. Each participant will need to bring the string repair tools listed in the link below:
Included in the materials charge, each student will receive a 4/4 violin that is in the white (no varnish) condition. This violin will be used during the course as a practice piece. At the end of the clinic, each student will be able to keep the violin.
Subjects to be covered but not limited to will include the following:
For more information or to ask questions, contact:
- Proper setup of orchestral strings
- Shop setup for string repair
- Basic tools
- Tool sharpening
- Peg fitting
- Bridge fitting: Violin, Viola and Cello
- Sound post fitting
- Fingerboard dressing, removal and installation
- Fabricating nuts and saddles
- Structural repairs (as time permits): repairing cracks, removing and re-installing tops, repairing & lining ribs, repair and reattaching of necks
Kevin Dennison: firstname.lastname@example.org
is a retired music educator from central Kentucky where he taught band, jazz and music theory over the course of his 27 year career. Upon his retirement, he apprenticed as a woodwind repair technician with Lee Sabel at Hurst Music, Inc., in Lexington, KY. Kevin began to focus specifically on orchestral string repair at the request of his wife who is an orchestra teacher. He attended NAPBIRT University String Repair courses where he received instruction from Richard Ervin and Jim Roetter. In 2007 he began maintaining the orchestra instrument rental stock of Hurst Music and doing all of the repair work brought in by customers. Since that time Hurst Music has seen a dramatic rise in their service to the orchestra community with increased rentals and a larger share of the school orchestra business. In 2010 Kevin received the "Friend of Music" Award from the Kentucky Music Educators Association at their annual conference for his service to the orchestra and band communities. He now works exclusively on orchestral strings for Hurst Music.
Safety glasses are required for all NAPBIRT University courses.
If you do not bring your own, we will provide them.
This course is SOLD OUT
- All registrations are to be completed electronically using this website.
- We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You do not have to be a member of NAPBIRT to register. However, you will need to create an account with us in order to process your registration.
- If you are a current member, make sure you are logged into the system. Otherwise, you will end up re-typing a lot of information that would automatically be inserted into the registration form.
- If you are a previous member or you have attended a NAPBIRT clinic in the past, your name should already be in our database. Click Here to request your login information. If your email address matches the information in our database, you will receive an automated email with your User Name and Password shortly. (Usually, within 15 minutes) However, if you don't receive the automated email, this means that your email address didn't match. The NAPBIRT Office will be notified of your request and will contact you during business hours. To ensure that your request is not a Phishing Scam, we will ask you for additional information such as your birthdate, phone number, home address, etc.
If you would like to have your name added to the waiting list for the next String 1 Course, please send an email to: email@example.com
or call the NAPBIRT Office: 309.452.4257.
Lodging - not part of registration fee